BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 23, 2008

the outdoors are truly great

Nathan and I just got back from a weekend camping trip, and I feel more refreshed and relaxed than any weekend of sitting around watching tv could ever offer. Besides, there's nothing quite like hot dogs roasted with just a touch of dirt, smoke and ash mixed in.

Camping really is a cheap vacation, and if you bring along a pretty good airbed, it's comfortable too! Unfortunately our queen size airbed was just a little larger than the tent door, and it took quite a bit of grunting and shoving to cram it through. And before you make a smart comment about blowing it up ONCE it's inside the tent, there was no electricity nearby, and we had to carry it over to the bathhouse, blow it up and then carry it back. Apparently our electrical outlet that plug into the cigarette lighter in the car is not made for blowing up airbeds. haha.
Saturday night was a flash back in time though. As I was making Ramen noodles, I looked around and we were surrounded by fireflies. I haven't caught a firefly since I was probably four years old. It was so fun to chase them around and try to grab hold of one. Next time we go camping, I will bring a glass jar along to keep a few in and watch them glow for a while. I tried catching a picture of them glowing, but they never would light up at the right time.

Camping is such a great family activity -- it really brings everyone closer. State parks don't charge too much to rent a campsite, and it supports the great outdoors. So next time your bored and want a cheap way to relax, go tenting!

3 comments:

skaMEDIA said...

we're coming with you next time! :)

Lizabeth said...

Looks like fun! I haven't been camping in a long time! Wish I could have come... =)

Phoebe said...

Hey girl! I didn't know you had a blog. Glad I found you. Can I add your link to my page? How is nursing? I really miss camping, since I am here in Thailand! It is a wonderful time! Miss you. God bless. Keep in touch!