BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 6, 2009

Ma'am, how much time did causing that accident save you?

Seems like no one out there knows how to drive these days. I will say that living here in Chattanooga is much better than living in Tyler, TX. The drivers there are complete and utter idiots. But we have a pretty large group of idiots here as well. The other day while leaving the hospital, I nearly got hit twice within two miles of each other. First, I stopped at a 4-way stop just beyond the hospital, and I waited for the first care to pass through the stop sign on my right. I began to go forward when the car behind the one that had just passed began to accelerate and go through the stop sign as well. Then the car on my left began to go, and they nearly collided while I drove around the side and got out of that intersection as quickly as possible.

A mile or so down the road, I was going through another intersection, this one with a light. I had a green light, so I went through and as I was doing so, a mini-van to the left of me (who had a red light) began to turn into the intersection and nearly sideswiped me. I don't know what possesses these people to absolutely ignore all traffic laws and just drive willy-nilly around the road.

The other day, I stopped at the fabric store on the way home from work. As I came out of the store and got back in the car, I turned to pull back out onto the Hwy. An accident had happened not more than a couple minutes before this, and thankfully no one was hurt. But what caused the accident was some woman attempting to save 20 seconds and beat an oncoming car so she could turn into the parking lot I was in. I don't know what possessed her to turn so close to an oncoming car. She managed to turn directly into their drivers door. She was in an SUV and the other car was some tiny Ford.

Her attempt to save herself 20 seconds turned into a huge ordeal of explaining herself to the cops, dealing with insurance, making sure no one was hurt, and just a general overall headache. ... It's just not worth racing traffic to save time. It will eventually end up causing you more of a mess. That's why I just drive the speed limit, follow the rules, and get there about 45 seconds later than that idiot who zoomed past me and cut me off just to beat me to the stop light.

Hey, at least I've never gotten a speeding ticket, and my insurance is cheaper.

1 comments:

The SSP said...

You are SO right on in your post! Most people are so incredibly distracted that they can no longer effectively and safely drive. I mean, people can't sit at a light for 20 seconds without getting totally involved in something else and then miss the light when it turns green and continue to sit there. It is awful!

Just the other day I was talking with Doreen about this, because we saw 6 really stupid driving manuvers that had a potential of being 6 different fender benders that people were very, VERY lucky weren't.

That was just in my car, I won't mention what I see every day that I'm on the road as a truck driver. Oh my goodness!!!

I'm like you, within 5 mph of the speed limit and watching all signs and driving very defensively!!!

Thanks for sharing something more people need to read!

Preach it sista!!!